Sunday, March 23, 2014

Perfectly Simple Risotto

     I've been wanting to make risotto for a long time. I assumed that it was a very complicated process, but I'm glad to report that it's really not. Yes, it does require a little time and your undivided attention, but it's not actually difficult. The only reason it took me two tries to get right was because I got a splitting migraine in the middle of my first attempt and was unable to give it the love and attention it deserved. But this time, it was perfect. It's so good, it makes me not want to eat plain rice now. And while I usually think of my culinary endeavors in Germany as one long ride on the struggle bus, this one really wasn't compromised. Okay, I confess I did use plain rice instead of risotto rice, but hey, it worked.

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup risotto rice
3 cups chicken broth
1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
a handful of button mushrooms, finely chopped
2 shallots, minced
half a stick of butter
1 clove of garlic
1 cup white wine
1/2 cup grated parmesan
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a saucepan, gently simmer the chicken broth, so that it's warm when you add it to the rice later.
2. Chop the vegetables. Then sauté them in half of the butter for a few minutes until tender.
3. Add the rice to the frying pan and sauté with the veggies for about 2 minutes until it just starts to turn translucent.

4. Now, transfer the rice and veggies to a larger pot, and add the wine. Stir it constantly until the wine is absorbed. Maybe 5 minutes. The constant stirring is the essential part of this process.
5. Once all the wine is absorbed, do the same thing with the broth, 1/2 cup at a time. Add 1/2 cup, stir it  constantly until the liquid absorbs, and repeat until the broth is gone. The whole process should take about 25 minutes. when you're out of liquid, the rice should be cooked.
5. Finally, stir in the other half of the butter and the parmesan until it all melts. Then serve immediately.

See, it's that easy. Just make sure to give it your undivided attention, and you should get the result you want. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment